Saturday, February 6, 2010

Willing to be Hopelessly Insignificant?

Oswald Chambers is merciless. He gives me no room for entitlement or even complaining! He says, "Are you willing to be offered for the work of the faithful--to pour out your life blood as a drink offering... or do you say... "I want to have the right kind of people watching and saying, 'Well done.'" (Oh, ouch!)

He goes on to say, "Are you ready to be not so much as a drop in the bucket--to be so hopelessly insignificant that your are never thought of again?... Some saints cannot do menial work and remain saints because it is beneath their dignity."

I have been on a quest for significance my whole life! Now Chambers is telling me I need to be willing to be, not just insignificant, but hopelessly insignificant! And the strange part of it is, something is resounding within me at that thought. I'm not sure what it is exactly, or what God is speaking to me, but in the past, I would have instantly put the book down (if not thrown it across the room!)

Chambers ended today's devotional with this statement that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt is true: "Tell God you are ready to be poured out and God will prove Himself to be all you ever dreamed He would be."

My hope is not that God will meet all my needs and wants, not that he will give me a nice comfortable life on earth, but that through all the fear, pain and grief, He will prove Himself to be all I ever dreamed He would be... and more. And that is my Unswerving Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know what you think and how I can pray for you. Most of us are carrying some pretty heavy baggage and the good news is, you don't have to carry it alone! You can lay it at the feet of Jesus, and sometimes we need help just letting go of our baggage and not picking it up again. We're in this together!