Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Our Problems Are Our Friends


That sounds so ridiculous, I know! But Sarah Young writes in “Jesus Calling,” “Make friends with the problems in your life. Tough many things feel random and wrong, remember that I am sovereign over everything. I can fit everything into a pattern for good, but only to the extent that you trust Me. Every problem can teach you something transforming you little by little into the masterpiece I created you to be.” 

A masterpiece? That sounds so great, but oh, I feel so far from being a masterpiece! Does that mean I have a lot more problems, I mean "friends" coming my way? Ugh!

Our problems don't automatically our friends. We must choose to befriend them! Young continues,  “The very same problem can become a stumbling block over which you fall, if you react with distrust and defiance. The choice is up to you, and you will have to choose many times each day whether to trust Me or defy Me.”

We have to choose many times to trust God or defy Him. Wow. There’s no in between. It’s either or… either trust or defy. When I think about it that way, it puts the fear of God in me. I never every want to defy God! But I don’t always want to trust Him either. When I can see that not trusting is defying, I’m much more motivated to trust.

So, today, this moment, I choose to make friends with the problems in my life. I choose to trust, not to defy. (That kind of makes my stomach hurt, but I will press on!)

“But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:12-13.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know what you think and how I can pray for you. Most of us are carrying some pretty heavy baggage and the good news is, you don't have to carry it alone! You can lay it at the feet of Jesus, and sometimes we need help just letting go of our baggage and not picking it up again. We're in this together!